Thursday, July 28, 2011

A letter to my daughter...

Babygirl,

In six days, you will be a kindergarten student.  We have been anticipating this day with mixed emotions since we first laid eyes on you.  It seems like yesterday, we received the call of your birth and in a flurry of activity and emotion, drove like crazy people to see your precious face.  You were tiny and perfect, soft and cozy and in need of our nurturing in every aspect of your life.  A precious gift from GOD in every way.  You stole our hearts that cold day in January and at 1:29 in the afternoon, when I held you for the first time, my heart was made complete. 

The last five years have been wonderful.  We've nursed your boo-boos, laughed at your crazy antics until we were gasping for breath, prayed for your renewed health, been in awe of your abilities despite such a rough start in life and most of all.....loved you with reckless abandon.  We have done everything possible to provide an enriching environment....one that is as colorful and happy as the one you have provided us with.  We've watched as you've embraced every challenge and mastered things well beyond your age groups.  Your compassion and faith in GOD rivals that of most adults and children of all ages are drawn to you.  In my eyes, you are one of GOD's greatest masterpieces.

You are about to embark on a new chapter in your life.  You will surely meet adversity, be tempted and tested in your faith, shed tears, gain and loose friends and go through more trials than you can possibly imagine.  My prayer for you, baby girl, is that you will meet each trial with strength and faith.  My mind is awash with questions.  Have we prepared you properly both socially and academically?  Have we made the right decision about your school?  Will your teacher accept you for who you are?  My heart tells me you are apprehensive and share my fears.  Am I doing enough to quiet your fears or are you feeding of the apprehension that I work so hard to suppress?  My promise to you is that I will make mistakes and I will shed tears, but I will ALWAYS act in a way that I feel is best for you.  My decisions will be formed out of love and much prayer.

There may come a time when you are embarrassed of us and feel that you don't need us anymore.  My mind says that is okay while my heart screams for my baby!  Please be patient with mom and dad....and never forget how much we love you.  Momma has always told you that love makes people do foolish things and parents are most certainly not exempt from that. 

Most of all, I want you to know how proud we are of you!  Your best will always be enough. 

Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment