Sunday, July 24, 2011

Deviled eggs

My chickens have been busy, REALLY busy.  Despite 96 degree temps and ungodly humidity, my flock seems to be flourishing.  Long story short, I am getting way more eggs than I can handle.  This afternoon I decided enough was enough.  Deviled eggs are a wonderful way to use up a bunch of eggs.  Older eggs do tend to work better....fresh eggs are very hard to peel as the membrane is hard to separate from the eggs. 

Oh how I love good deviled eggs.  Oh how I loathe mediocre deviled eggs.  You know the type...the pasty, tasteless, and with a thick, lumpy filling.  It makes me shudder.  For me, the secret to a good deviled egg is a smooth, light filling with a bit of zip to it.  A balance of richness, sweetness and tartness.  When I say light, I do not mean light in fat...lol.  Do not be confused--a good DE will be high in fat!!!

Start of with as many eggs as you like (for the sake of this recipe we will use 8).  Put eggs in saucepan and fill with cool water until eggs are covered.  Bring the eggs up to a boil and boil for one minutes.  Cover the saucepan with a lid and turn off heat.  Let eggs sit for 15 minutes before putting them in cool water.  This is the BEST way I have found to make hard-boiled eggs.  The yolk is tender but completely cooked and the white is firm but tender. 

After eggs have cooled and are peeled, put all yolks in a food processor.  This is very important and the only way I have ever been able to get a smooth, lump-free filling.  Add 1 tsp (or more to taste) of apple cider vinegar, a pinch of kosher salt, 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper and 1/3 cup Miracle Whip (no substitutions!!!).  Give ingredients a whirl until nice and smooth.  Your end result should be light yellow and the consistency of pudding.  You may need to add more Miracle Whip, but I think you will like the end result.  There are many ways to make this recipe your own....you could add chives, dill, cheese, really anything that suits your taste.  These eggs will become your staple, I'm sure of it.  They are perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment