Friday, July 15, 2011

The best ever.

Meatloaf, that is.  I know what y'all are thinking....meatloaf is grody.  The texture, the grease, the blandness of it all.  For years, I've avoided the stuff like the plague.  My mom's was gross, my granny's was gross and as far as I was concerned if they couldn't do it right, no one could.  Fast forward to me entering married life and my husband ask why I never fixed meatloaf.  Just the thought of it made me queasy...why couldn't he understand that?  Turns out, he is a meatloaf fan.  So, I went on a quest to make the perfect meatloaf.  Ashamedly, I will admit that my goal was not to satisfy my husband.  It was for my own personal satisfaction.  Failure I can handle in small doses, but that failure must not involve my culinary skills.  The kitchen is where I excel and am most competitive.  Quite possibly the biggest challenge I've ever given myself was to come up with a eatable meatloaf...Lol.  I am giggling because I'm quite sure if my husband read this blog, he would look into having me committed.  Hopefully he didn't marry me for my sanity alone!!!

Anyway, I ate a lot of nasty meatloaf before coming up with this one.  This meatloaf is now a family favorite.  My sweet brother, Geremy, could eat his weight in this recipe.

Best Meatloaf Eva

3/4 cup ketchup
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 lbs ground beef ( 80/20)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
1TBSP minced garlic
1TBSP brown sugar

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.  Whisk 1/2 cup ketchup with next five ingredients in a large bowl.  Add beef, onion, pepper, saltines and garlic.  Mix well with hands or wooden spoon.  Place on baking sheet and pat into 11x5 oval loaf. Combine  rest of ketchup and brown sugar and pour over meatloaf.  Bake 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 160 degrees.  Wait 5 minutes before slicing.  Serves 6-8.
Try it out, y'all.  I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment