Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Picky, picky eaters :(

I struggle on a day to day basis with a household of picky eaters.  Grr...I'm sure I'm not the only one, but it gets annoying to say the least.  Babygirl, started off loving all vedgetables and fruits.  I never worried about her nutrition because she would eat ANYTHING I put in front of her.  Heck, she had never even had a hotdog until she was two (wretched things!).  What her grammy gave her when I wasn't looking is unbeknowst to me and I choose to not think about it ;)  Somewhere around the age of Four, she started deciding she no longer liked anything healthy.  Now, it's an absolute struggle to get her to eat decently.  This is surely a typical kid thing, but I hope and pray she changes back into her old self!  I refuse to let her eat things that are fillers only!  My hubby on the other hand, likes all fruits and vegetables, but he is so picky about how things are prepared.  He doesn't like cheese, anything spicy- really he likes his food bland.  He likes canned biscuits much more than homemade and he doens't like sausage in his gravy.  WEIRD!  Despite the fact that he has been a southerner his whole life, he has some strange eating habits.  I'd never allowed myself to think or dwell on their pickyness until I started thinking about bloggable recipes.  Every single recipe I make is changed in someway to suit their preferences.  This week, I decided I was going to start cooking a meal one night a week that is just the way I like it.  Selfish?  I don't think so and my man and babygirl can eat or go hungry!  Lol.  We'll see how this goes!  I"m going to include a recipe below that is easily changed up.  You can use any combination of cheeses that suit your taste or even make this when you have a bunch of cheese you need to use up!

Homemade pimento cheese

4 ozs. Velveeta cheese (no substitutes), softened
1 1/2 cups shredded colby cheese, divided
1 small jar diced pimentos, undrained
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Miracle whip to taste (no substitutes)

Start off by making sure your cheese is room temp first.  I set mine out about 1/2 hour before I'm ready to use them and it works well.  Room temperature cheese will mix well.....you cannot do anything with cold velveeta!  Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer until everthing is combined.  When I say Miracle Whip to taste, I usually use  about 2/3 of a cup.  I realize this might be a bit heavy for some, so just play around with it.  I like my end result to be creamy.

Notes:
*Some things in life are too good to mess with, when I say no substitutions on MW and Velveeta, I mean it!!!  They are far superior to any other brand, either store brand or name brand, that I have found.  I'm all about saving a buck when I can, but this is not a place I can do it!

*If, I were making this for my hubby, I would use sharp cheddar instead of colby.  It def gives the mixture more of a bite.  Sometimes I will use half colby and half sharp.  You can really use any kind of cheese you like!  Do try to grate your own cheese, it really is better! 

*Consistensy is important to me and you may have noted that I wrote in that the cheese should be divided.  I like Pimento cheese to be creamy, but I don't want it to be mush either, soooooo.......I mix everything together and add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese at the end and stir it in with a spoon instead of a mixer.  This allows a bit coarser texture.

Pimento cheese is a staple in the South and it is so good with a hot bowl of vegetable soup or chili

No comments:

Post a Comment