Saturday, September 24, 2011

Diabetic lemonade...

Considering that my original lemonade recipe is my most viewed post, I thought I would give you a good recipe for all the diabetics out there.  My mother is a diabetic and she came up with this trick years ago and I use it several times per week.  The recipe couldn't be more simple and it is surprisingly good.  Start off with Crystal Light lemonade mix-----stick with me, I know the mix is horrible!  Take a fresh orange and slice half of the orange into thin rounds.  Put the rounds into the lemonade mix and squeeze the remaining half of the orange adding the juice into the mix as well.  Give everything a stir and refrigerate for an hour or so.  I don't fully understand how this works, but the fresh orange juice makes this concoction taste homemade....there is absolutely no taste of aspartame in this AT ALL.  Maybe it's the essential oil in the rinds, maybe it's just the thought of fresh juice being in the mix...whatever it is, people never guess this isn't fresh squeezed.  Even my extremely picky, borderline diabetic husband loves it.  The mix states the caloric content of a serving as being 5 calories.  I would think you would raise that to around 10 or so.....fine by me!  Lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment