Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dark Chocolate-Nutella Buttercream...

First off, who doesn't love Nutella?  Not loving Nutella means one of two things--either you haven't tried it or you are mentally unstable.  No way around it!  I have posted previously the delicious s'mores recipe, but I also very much enjoy nutella with fresh strawberries.  Some people also choose to ear the nutella by the spoonful right out of the jar.  Such obsession!  Such lack of restraint...I don't know about such people...lol.  I try not to hand around such uncivilized folk (clearing throat and changing subject now!). 

Anyways, my dear sister graduated from nursing school this weekend and we had much to celebrate!  The family went out to eat after graduation and my sister chose a lovely little restaurant housed in a historic home.  The atmosphere was relaxed and private, but unfortunately, we arrived very close to closing and the dessert staff was leaving.  My sister didn't get a celebratory dessert and being the foodie that I am, I was bothered by that deeply.  This morning, I got up and decided to make her favorite dessert.  She loves a basic yellow cake with super rich homemade chocolate butter cream.  While this old standby is delish, I wanted to kick it up a notch.  I decided to come up with a butter cream that included nutella.  I began to search the internet for recipes and quickly decided to come up with my own.  Here's what I came up with:

Two sticks salted butter, softened
3-4 cups of powdered sugar
2-3 TBSP milk
1 tsp pure vanilla
1/3 cup dark, dutch unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup Nutella

Cream butter, add nutella and mix well.  Add vanilla and cocoa, mix.  Add powdered sugar and enough milk to bring to desired consistency.  I beat this for a good minute to stiffen the mixture up.

The end result was delish!  My family went crazy over this new concoction.  Right now I am dreaming of fresh strawberries that can be dipped into the leftover butter cream.  WOW!  This recipe makes more than enough to frost a 13x9 cake.  Believe me in that you want a bit extra to enjoy! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment