Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Southern cooking and the first of four types....

This week I have been listening to Paula Deens' audio book of "It ain't all about the cookin', y'all".  I cannot say that I recommend the book because of cursing and suggestive language, but for the most part, I have found the book interesting.  The book is honest and to the point and I appreciate where she's been and who she is now.  About two-thirds way through the book, she begins to talk about there being four types of Southern cooking.  I was intrigued and as I listened along, I realized she was oh so right.  Today, I thought I would drop a few lines on my favorite type of Southern goodness.  COMFORT FOOD!!  Can y'all relate? 

You see to me, there is nothing more comforting than a steaming bowl of chicken n dumplins done up right.  No matter how bad my day has been, no matter how stressed, stretched for time or icky I feel, this dish can do a world of good.  Comfort food is usually starchy, cheesy, soft and of course, calorie laden.  Comfort food can also be sweet....can we say banana pudding!?!  I suppose it's a shame that we seek comfort in such a way, but Southerners life revolves are family and food, so I think it's only natural. 

All day today I craved mashed potatoes and as I look back on my day, it was stressful.  As luck would have it, I was out of potatoes and with the nearest store being 20 minutes away, I did without.  In case anyone else is in the same boat, here's a pic that will hopefully suffice.  Lol....


What comfort foods are a staple in your lives?  Tomorrow, I will be talking about type number two......funeral food.

No comments:

Post a Comment