Saturday, June 11, 2011

Recipe for the best lemonade ever......

This recipe is my version of Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa), who I love.  Could write several posts on that lady, but I'll spare y'all.  Anywho...she has a good recipe for fresh lemonade, but I found it to be too strong/tart for our tastes.  You see we are Southern and like everything syrupy sweet and her recipe just wasn't quite there.  Here's what we like best...

2/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 cups water
1 cup crushed ice
1-1/2 cups simple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla

First take 1 1/2 cups of water and add 1 1/2 cups of sugar and put in medium saucepan.  Heat until sugar is completely melted and let cool.  Throw all ingredients in blender and whirl til the ice is crushed.  The end result is frothy and delicious!!!!!  You of course, will want to adjust this according to taste.  This is the amount of sugar I use when lemons are a bit green and extra bitter.

The concoction was a hit at our stand today---many commented on it being the best they had ever tasted.  SCORE!  Hope you all try it and enjoy it as much as we do!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think I will have to try this. I don't believe I've ever had vanilla in lemonade. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, girly. I hope you like it. You probably won't need as much sugar as I'm sure you have access to better lemons as I do. Ours have been half-way green and extra bitter so far.

    ReplyDelete