Monday, January 23, 2012

Sourdough Bread...

I can finally check off one of my new years resolutions....YAY!  Oh wait, I can check off two, but more on that later.  Last weekend,  started a SD starter and even though I can seriously make some bread, I wasn't that confident.  For one, I could just see myself forgetting to do one of the 1000 different steps and ruining my starter.  Secondly, I am never home for like 4-5 hours at a time and all this rising, the punching down, then rising again stressed me out.  I was determined, though.  Even if I had to get up at 3am and punch some bread dough, I was gonna do it!  My mom says this is the recipe she always used with success, but I actually took it out of a pentecostal cookbook.  Today, I'm going to give you the recipe for the starter.

BREAD STARTER

1 pkg. yeast
1/2c. warm water
3/4c. sugar
3 T. instant potato flakes
1c.  warm water

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.  Add sugar and potato flakes;  mix well.  Add 1 cup warm water;  stir.  Put in a mason jar with lid and set on counter overnight.  Next morning, set in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days, then after that you can start your bread with the SD bread recipe.

First of all, be smart and put the mixture in a quart jar instead of a pint (like I did).  This will allow room for the yeast to bubble and work AND you will have room to feed your starter.  You will see lots of bubble action and your kitchen will smell a bit like moonshine, but it is worth it.  Quite satisfying....

Tomorrow, I will add the bread recipe.  Go ahead and start this, y'all.  You will have 3 of the best loaves of bread ever in 5 days or so after starting.  Yummy.  I've seriously had ppl calling my house asking for bread and or a cup of starter.  Lol, I'm evidently surround by greed...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment