Sunday, January 15, 2012

It's cold and I need carbs...

Well, not really.  My butt would probably disagree with me on this one...In the winter I crave carb-laden foods.  We have finally had our first serious cold snap and bit of snow.  Because of this, I find myself thinking about preparing meals that are carb heavy..surely I am not alone in this.  I thought it might be kind of fun to post some of my go-to bread recipes.  My husband does require some type of bread with every meal.  While I enjoy making bread, I don't do it that often.  Who has the time?  So, I've found a few recipes that are quick and easy and I pretty much wear them out.  lol.  All of these recipes can be made in 10 minutes or less and require NO special ingredients, yeast or rising.  The first recipe must be credited to my girl Ree Drummond.  Ree, also known as the Pioneer Woman, has some fab recipes and my family usually loves them.  Ree does not know that she is my girl, but in my heart she is...lol!  In her cookbook, she has a recipe for olive cheese bread and it is to die for.  I fixed the recipe along with a regularly garlic bread for my daughter's birthday party.  If I was a bettin' gal, I would have bet the garlic bread would have gone first, but it was hardly touched.  As usual, I did change the recipe a bit, so I will put mine here and note the differences.

1 loaf crusty french bread (I used a loaf from Sam's)
1/2 cup Hellman's mayo
1/2 cup Monterrey jack
1/2 cup colby/monterrey jack
1 stick salted butter, room temp
7 oz jar of green olives, chopped
14 oz can black olives, chopped

Cut loaf of bread in half.  Combine all ingredients after shredding cheese.  Schmear on bread.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or so.  You will have a gooey, decadent mess.

This bread is good hot, warm or even cold.  My husband who hates olives will even eat this.  I promised to tell you the changes I made, so here goes:

Ree added 2 green onions, chopped and instead of the cheese mixture I chose, she did a whole cup of Monterrey jack.  If I'm being honest, the only reason I chose the cheese mixture above is because that's what I had on hand.  It was sooo yummy, who am I to change it.  Ha! Really, really good with anything Italian.  Bread can be prepared ahead of time and frozen.  Just allow to defrost for 30 minutes or so before cooking. 

Tomorrow (hopefully), my Sweet Italian Bread!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks...thanks a lot! Argh! Just kidding. It sounds good and easy. I hope you can post the next one soon.

    ~F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, well you may not want to read for the next week or two if you don't want to ruin your diet!!!

      Delete
  2. Someday...someday...my bread will come. (Sung to Cinderella's tune.)

    ReplyDelete