Friday, January 20, 2012

New years resolutions...foodie style.

I love to cook and eat too much to resolve to lose weight.  May sound horrible, but if nothing else, I am truthful.  Every year I find myself resolving to try a few new things in the kitchen and it does add a bit of excitement to my routine that can be mundane at time.  All wives and mothers know the definition of mundane...this I'm sure of!  This year, I resolved to try five new dishes/ways of cooking.  Here goes:

1)  Roast my own prime rib.  Never done this, isn't hard...I don't know why I have never done this!
2)  Roast a pork shoulder.  Again, I don't know why I've never done this.  I frequently cook for a large group of people and really need to find a few main course recipes that are less labor intensive.  By less labor intensive, I really mean I'm lazy and hate to do large amounts of dishes.  Just sayin'
3)  Learn how and attempt to master smoking meat.  Again, never tried this much.  I have a lovely grill with a smoking compartment and everything.  It seems that I am seldom home long enough to attempt a recipe that requires several hours.  This is sad.  Maybe I should resolve to simplify my life and schedule.....that's another post.
4) Make bread from a starter.  I'm a pretty fair bread maker, but I have never attempted a sourdough or Amish friendship bread from start to finish.  As I type I have a sourdough starter going and just put my first batch of dough to rising.  I am excited!!!!

Okay, y'all.  We'll see how this goes.  How about my readers...does anyone have any food resolutions they would like to share? 

No comments:

Post a Comment