Friday, February 3, 2012

So, I figure I owe y'all another post....

with the remainder of the sour dough bread recipe.  I have been very, very bad this week.  First of all, Everyone has been sick and I have been mucho busy trying to take care of their needs, tend house, cook, attend my classes and homework, etc.  I am ashamed to admit all of this weeks hustle and bustle has made me grumpy, a bit frazzled and frankly....forced to operate in bare minimum mode.  Bare Minimum mode usually entails accomplishing only absolutely necessary tasks.  What does this all mean?  I let my starter go bad.  You see, I didn't feed it.  As far as I know, that is the only way to ruin a starter.  See how bad I've been?  Luckily, I did manage to remember to feed my family and our 10,000 pets and am proud to say the only thing dead 'round these parts is my starter.  Today I think I will get another started, we'll see.  I'm going to go ahead and list the recipe for the bread in case anyone would like to get a batch going.

Sour Dough Bread recipe

2 T sugar
2 tsp salt
6c. bread flour
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 c. starter
1 1/2 c. warm water.

Measure out one cup of starter and set aside.  Mix together flour, salt and sugar, then add vegetable oil, starter and warm water and mix well. Dough will be stiff.  Put about 1 tbsp foil in a large bowl and pour bread dough into the bowl.  Flip the bread dough over on time as soon as you put it in bowl.  This will bring the oily side up.  Cover bowl with saran wrap and a kitchen towel.  Let set at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours, then punch it down and knead for 30 seconds.  Pour out onto lightly-floured surface.  Divide into 3 equal parts and knead each piece 8 to 10 times.  make a rectangular shape to fit into loaf pans.  Grease 3 loaf pans and put bread dough in each one.  Cover with waxed paper and let rise for 4 to 5 hours.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.  If you want to make wheat bread, use 2 cups of wheat flour and 4 cups of bread flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment