Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Simple Woman's Daybook

Hard to believe another week has rolled around!  Hope everyone enjoyed Labor Day.  I have a lovely weekend full of productivity and family fun...my two favorite things :)

From my window:  SUNLIGHT!!!  The gray skies have finally been replaced by glorious sunlight.  After a rainy (much needed) weekend, I can literally see my grass growing before my eyes.

From the kitchen:  Clean and tidy.  Nothing cooking away at this time; the only scent is my Scentsy warmer. Lunch will be chicken salad and watermelon. 

I am reading: Lisa Wingate's "A Thousand Voices" and Martha Stewart's Cooking School (scored at Goodwill yesterday for 50 cents!!).  Both books are very engaging.

I am listening to:  Music is always going on in my house in some form.  Right now CMT is on for random noise.  Lady Antebellum is playing.

I am thinking: Wondering how I will get babygirl's allergy shots this week.  We have soccer practice tonight and Thursday and a game Saturday.  Because of her asthma, she cannot get a shot on a day of practice or game playing.  Makes it so hard.  The life of a mama!

I am wishing:  For a bigger vehicle.  I always made fun of people who, after having their first child, immediately bought a big SUV...how wasteful.  Yet, I would love to have something big enough to haul 7.  I constantly need to haul more than 5 ppl now....we looked at a Buick SUV yesterday and loved it.  We'll see. 

Around the home:  Just finished painting my hallway and all interior doors.  Will hang pics and quilt rack back up this week.  Next chore:  Painting the living room....Saturday we will be heading to the Louisville Zoo.

I am sharing:  A simple, healthful recipe.  A follower ask for this some time ago and thought I would share today...

Cabbage and Smoked Sausage

1 lb of smoked sausage (beef or turkey both work well), cut into 2 inch links
One large head of cabbage, roughly chopped
1/2 stick butter
salt and pepper
2 TBSP Chipotle Tabasco sauce

This is so simple.  I start with a dutch oven and throw the first three ingredients in the pot.  Add enough water to fill pot halfway.  NO need to cover the cabbage as it will cook down a great deal.  Add pepper and tabasco sauce.  Cook on low to medium heat until cabbage is VERY tender (that's the Southern way).  Add salt to taste at the end off cooking.  I have found that adding salt in the beginning will keep cabbage from getting as tender.  Plan on at least 30 minutes cooking time.  I suggest serving with fried potatoes and cornbread. 

Healthy version:  Use Turkey sausage and light margarine.  I do this often and it turns out well.  A few red potatoes can be added as well.

3 comments:

  1. I think my husband will like this recipe. Thank you! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he likes it. It's perfect for a super busy day and still relatively healthy! Miss you!

      Delete
  2. I miss you too! He loves sauerkraut. It's the German in him. :)

    ReplyDelete