Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Life


"I would like to live as a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding." John O'Donohue

I think the above quote is lovely and so true.  Life is quite the journey and often times, a wild, wild ride.  As I get older, I realize life is a bit like climbing a mountain...sometime our journey upward is easy and without pain and barriers, and sometimes, we fall back a little and lose our footing.  Our physical, metal and emotional conditioning is up to us.....we can neglect our health and suffer the consequences or we can protect God's temple. Once I realized that GOD is my safety net, it's easier for me to progress slowly and steadily.  God's "harness" is a simple formula of studying his word, spending time in prayer, and having faith.  This formula costs very little monetarily and is sure and true.  How glorious is that?  Doesn't mean it's easy, but it IS always available. 

Lately, I've been rereading some of my Jentezen Franklin books on Fasting.  I have fasted many, many times, but only for a day or two.  Jentezen starts each year out with a lengthy fast and miracles abound.  Spiritual and physical healings are commonplace.  While I am sure GOD is convicting me of this, I'm not sure what he wants/expects of me.  I have been prayerfully examining ways in which I can take better care of my body.  At the age of 33, my health is worse than most my age.  While a lot of my physical problems are hereditary, some are not.  My thyroid has been failing for years, I have moderately severe endometriosis, hypertension and skin issues.  I feel yucky a lot of days.  I'm not a naturalist by any means, but I have REAL concerns on popping pills on a regular basis....what can I do to help myself?  I have been praying.  So far, I feel like I need to work on the items I put on my skin.

Our skin is the largest organ of our body and can very accurately reflect our overall health.  How is my skin?  HORRIBLE.  In fact, it always has been.  I have the type of skin that looks like an oil slick two hours after bathing.  My hair is the same way.  I have been embarrassed by it all my life.  Because of the extreme oil, I have had constant break outs and have pores so massive I can stick a finger in them (well, almost).  Add in the inherited rosascea and dermatitis and I am a mess.  I have never been a huge product person.  While I've always worn make-up, I've never overindulged.  I sat down last night and listed all the products applied to my skin on a daily basis and it blew me away.  The sad thing is, nothing really seems to be helping.  I encourage each one of you to do the same.

Here's my list:

Prescription:
Finacea (Rosacea cream)
Presctiption hydrocortisone cream (dermatitis)
Curel Intensive formula for Eczema (don't have this condition, but my daughter does and I love this lotion)
Secret deodorant
Frederick Fekkai Apple Cider shampoo
Oil of Olay pore purifying facial cleanser (morning)
Simple sensitive skin wipes (evening)
Oil of Olay sensitive facial lotion (evening)
Ivory bodywash

Make-up:
I won't list all the brands as I have favorites all across the board
Foundation
Powder
Blush
Eye Shadow
eyeliner
Mascara

On Sunday's (church day) I add to this list:

OPI polish
Sally Hansen foot scrub
Sally Hansen intensive cuticle treatment
Mouse and hairspray

As I listed this, I couldn't believe it...seriously.  All of this is leaching into my system on a daily basis.  No matter how good my diet is, I am quite sure I have been reversing any positive effects from whole foods.

So what am I gonna do about it?  This gal has a plan.  Join me tomorrow for my plan and (gasp), if I get up the nerve, I will take a pic of my skin without make-up.  Shew!

1 comment: