Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fall is almost here....bring on the soup!

Fall is my favorite season.  The crisp air, lovely changing leaves, colors...etc, I just feel so alive during this time of year.  I doesn't hurt that I love fall foods.  Food becomes more hearty and soups are suddenly desired again.  I don't know about y'all, but I love, love, love soup and make some type of homemade soup once per week.  My favs are cream of broccoli, chili, white chili, vegetable and tomato bisque.  Yummy!  My hubby isn't a big fan of soup other than winter and that breaks my little heart :(  Fortunately, he will eat taco soup year round.  It is quick, easy and oh so tasty.  Pretty dang healthy too!  It's a win-win.  I'm going to share my recipe with y'all today...I bet everyone has these ingredients on hand.  This recipe freezes well and will make 8 very healthy servings.  I like to serve this with crushed Frito Scoops, sour cream and shredded Mexican blend cheese on top.  My toppings make me a bad girl and the soup is delicious without them, but a girl only lives once, right?  A piece of cilantro would make a bright, pretty garnish as well.

First, cut up a small onion and saute in a bit of olive oil.  Saute until onion is translucent.


Have I mentioned yet that this is a one pot meal?  Somehow, one pot meals always taste better.  Lol.  Next, add one pound of ground sirloin and brown.



Drain off any grease if necessary and add  two cans of light red kidney beans.   Of course, any type of firm canned beans would be fine.  Also add a can of canned corn (I prefer the extra sweet white variety, but just use whatever you have on hand.)  




 I add  1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp freshly milled black pepper, 1/2 tsp cumin , two cloves of garlic and one packet of taco seasoning.  My family turns their noses up at extra heat, but this recipe would be great with the addition of cayenne or a tsp of adobo sauce.




Last but not least, add three cups of tomato juice and three cups of water.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  I like to cook this for 30 minutes of so to let all the flavors meld, but really, it should be fine after 15 minutes or so.  Quick, easy and very economical. 




Note:  All the acid from the tomatoes can be downplayed by adding a tsp of sugar towards the end of cooking.  I actually like the way the sugar enhances the flavor and my acid reflux thanks me as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment